This deliciously gorgeous egg-fried rice recipe is a super-speedy supper. Perfect for weeknights, it’s packed with flavour and very filling. Egg-fried rice is easy to prepare and tastes great as a meal on its own. For the best result, make sure the rice is cooked and cooled beforehand so it won’t stick together when frying.
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g/7oz long-grain rice (uncooked weight), cooked and left to go cold
100g/4oz frozen peas, defrosted (rinse under warm water to do this quickly)
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
100g/4oz beansprouts (optional)
- 1-2 tsp soy sauce
ground white pepper
Beat together the egg and sesame oil and put to one side.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan. When it’s shimmering and almost smoking, add the rice and stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes until completely heated through.
- Add the peas, spring onions and beansprouts, if using. Stir-fry, turning the rice constantly around the pan, for about 3 minutes. Season well with soy sauce and pepper, then push to one side of the pan.
- Pour the beaten egg mixture into the other side and leave for about 10 seconds so it begins to set.
- Using a chopstick, briskly swirl around the egg to break it up and then toss around with the rice.
- Stir-fry for a further minute and serve straight away.
Photo Credit: Getty