Most expectant first time moms, and sometimes, even second time or third time moms make the mistake of shopping ‘too much’ while shopping for baby things and end up buying things that they don’t need or that may not be very useful to them! If you ever brought anything while shopping for your little one only to discover that what you brought was completely useless or totally unnecessary, you are not alone. Most first-time parents often struggle with knowing the things needed for a new-born baby.
We have compiled an essential newborn baby shopping checklist of everything an expectant mom needs to buy for the baby, so you don’t end up buying what you don’t need or linger in confusion.
FEEDING – NEWBORN LIST
- Baby Formula for mothers with twin or those that do not want to do exclusive.
- Nursing pillow helps you comfortably support your baby during feedings to avoid back pain for nursing mothers.
- Nursing bra(s) – for tender or swollen breasts.
- Breast pads for absorbing milk to avoid spilling.
- Breast pump If you plan on exclusive breastfeeding (this is optional, but nice to have if you can afford it)
- Feeding bottles and teats, brush for washing bottles
- Sterilizing equipment
- Hot water Flask
- Burp cloths protect your clothes from liquid or milk spills.
- Baby high chair
HEALTH – NEWBORN LIST
- First aid Kit
- Digital thermometer
- Baby nail scissors
- Baby Safety
- Safety gates
- Baby monitor
- Baby Entertainment
- Pacifiers and toys: Keeps babies distracted
- Baby swing and bouncers: Keeps babies calm
- Baby carrier – babies love to be held closely for warmth
- Baby strollers also for ease of moving your baby around.
- Car seat- For newborn babies you either use a: a rear-facing infant seat or a convertible seat.
BABY BATHING SET:
- A soft but thick towels (big and small)
- Wash cloth by gerber
- Baby soap, lotion, oil and Powder like: pears baby, Aveeno baby popularly known in Nigeria by most mothers.
- Baby soft brush for hair
- Petroleum Jelly like the Blue seal Vaseline
- Olive oil serves as moisturizer for babies
- Baby nail scissors or clippers
- Cotton wool balls and rubbing alcohol
- Diaper changing bag can contain everything you need when going out
- Diapers – to start with, buy a good number of small-sized disposable Huggies or Pamper diapers
- Nappies – buy a few cotton nappies or cloth diaper
- Bucket with a secure lid for soaking before washing
- Wipes for cleaning your baby’s bottom during changings.
- Diaper cream or petroleum jelly
- Diaper disposal system or disposable trash bag
- Baby wipes
- Changing table
- Changing mat
- Hand Sanitizer
- A sizeable box or bag to pack baby items
- Clothing for newborns (onces) like carter or gerber baby wears
- Day clothes – Special outfits or two taking baby out or on display.
- Mittens – Many new-born easily grow long nails, with it they can scratch their faces or any part of their body.
- Sets of sleep suits
- Cotton Shirts
- Cotton pants to fit
- Leggings or pull-on pants
- Cotton sweater
- Knit cap
- Sock and shoes
- Baby cot or Crib
- Mattress: Shop for Mattress to fit your baby’s basket or cot
Sheets as require, baby sleeping and bag blankets.
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, body cream, comb and deodorant.
Sanitary pads – for a heavier flow.
Disposable Pants for ease of laundry
WHAT TO WEAR FOR MOTHERS
- Nightgown and robe- Make sure they open in the front if you are planning on breast feeding.
- Flat Slippers- During early labour it is always recommended to walk around.
Important Notes Before Making a List of Things to Buy For a Newborn Baby
- Make Two Separate Baby Lists
It’s important to make 2 different lists – (1) the hospital bag list and (2) the list of baby things to keep at home, for use when your new baby comes home.
THE BEST TIME TO START NEWBORN BABY-SHOPPING
- Buying your newborn baby’s needs early, around the 33rd week of pregnancy, will save you a lot of money, as you have enough time to find the best bargains.
There you go! Happy shopping and safe delivery!